General Description: A moderate hike in the woods taking you by some very impressive rock walls including the Massive Rock Formation (aka dinosaur rock). This is a fun hike for kids.
Difficulty: A moderate hike with no real difficult areas.
Weather considerations: A few areas may be muddy in wet weather.
Distance: 2.5 miles
Duration: 75 minutes
Sights: Massive Rock Formation.
Hiking Narrative: The loop begins at entrance #1. Park at the Dunk Rock Road parking area and walk up the road to the cul-de-sac to begin your hike.
- Begin on Blue Rectangle. This was once an old colonial road.
- Stay right on Blue Rectangle as Yellow Triangle veers left.
- Stay right on Blue Rectangle as Green Circle veers left.
- Stay left on Blue Rectangle as Green Triangle veers right.
- After hiking .4 miles, make a right on Orange Circle. Orange Circle begins to climb a hill.
- Stay right on Orange Circle as Orange Square veers left.
- Orange Circle goes left up a hill.
- Orange Circle follows along a huge rock wall. This is not the Massive Rock Formation, but is still very impressive.
- Take a left on Orange Circle over the bridge.
- Orange Circle crosses Green Rectangle trail.
- Orange Circle passes through the Massive Rock Forms. The trail zigzags left and right through a narrow corridor between rocks. As you hike out of the rock corridor with the cliff side to your left, look at the fallen rock to your right. The fallen rock has a shape similar to a dinosaur with the head farthest from you.
- You will pass through a rock squeeze or chasm.
- As you continue on Orange Circle there will be a great swamp on your right.
- After hiking about 1 mile, take a left on Orange Square.
- Orange Square comes to a T-crossing with Green Rectangle. Make a left and then a quick right to stay on Orange Square.
- Take a left on Orange Circle. You are retracing your steps for a short while.
- Orange Circle makes a left and goes up a hill. You will continue to retrace your steps with the huge rock wall on your right.
- Stay right on Orange Square as the Orange Circle Bridge goes left.
- Make a left on Blue Rectangle.
- Follow Blue Rectangle to parking area.