General Description: A meandering trail that takes you through typical Westwoods features.
Difficulty: A fairly easy hike with one very short, but quite steep climb. (You’ll be using your hands to help pull yourself up the steep climb area.)
Weather considerations: Lower areas often have wet conditions.
Distance: 2 miles
Duration: Under an hour
Sights: Forest, rock ledges, ridges and valleys.
Hiking Narrative: The loop begins at entrance #1. Park at the Dunk Rock Road parking area and walk up the road to the cul-de-sac to begin your hike.
- Begin on Blue Rectangle trail.
- Turn left on Yellow Triangle trail. Yellow Triangle becomes a loop trail. After crossing under the power lines, Yellow Triangle goes both left and right. Stay to your right.
- Blue Circle merges with Yellow Triangle for a while and branches to right. Stay on Yellow Triangle.
- Blue Circle crosses trail. Stay on Yellow Triangle.
- You’ll finish the Yellow Triangle loop and cross under the power lines again. Hike about 100 feet and look carefully for the Red Rectangle trail on your left. The marker for this trail is hard to locate because there are no large trees to paint the red diamond symbol. Make a left on Red Rectangle.
- Red Rectangle trail travels through a rocky ledge area. Look for the Red Rectangle symbol painted on the rock ledge.
- Yellow Triangle trail meets up close to the Red Rectangle trail. Stay on Red Rectangle.
- Red Rectangle trail travels over a plank walk across a swampy area.
- Red Rectangle makes a short, steep climb.
- Red Rectangle intersects with Green Circle. Take a right on Green Circle. Travel about 50 yards and turn left on Red Rectangle.
- Red Rectangle climbs a hill and follows along a ridge.
- Red Rectangle ends when it intersects with Orange Circle trail. Take a right on Orange Circle.
- After crossing under the power lines, bear right on Orange Square trail.
- Take a right on Blue Rectangle.
- Follow Blue Rectangle to parking lot #1.