General Description:Loop #2 is an easy hike on the white circle trail and orange circle trail that leads to the Lost Lake Vista, a large and flat rock ledge that is a favorite picnic spot with a beautiful view of the lake. Coming back you’ll take the white circle and white square trails back to the Sam Hill Road parking area.
Difficulty:Easy with some occasionally up and down hiking on open trails.
Weather considerations:A few areas may be muddy if there has been recent rain.
Sights:Lost Lake Vista, tree growing between a split rock (our Westwoods emblem).
Park and begin your hike at the Sam Hill Road entrance (entrance #3), at the corner of Sam Hill Road and Route 146.
- Hike along white circle. White circle will parallel the rail road tracks for awhile.
- Turn right onto orange circle as white circle continues to the left. This is the southern end of the orange circle trail.
- Continue north on orange circle for 8/10 of a mile.
- Just after crossing over the third bridge, the trail comes to a “T” where the orange circle north continues to the right and the white cross trail (“X”) continues to the left. Take the left onto white cross and continue 20 yards to the intersection with white circle.
- Take a left onto white circle as you approach the Lost Lake Vista.
- This is an ideal spot for a picnic or rest before starting on the return trip.
- Take white circle south from the Lost Lake Vista.
- Find the tree growing between a split rock (the emblem of Westwoods) on the top of a hill to the left as the trail turns 90 degrees to the right and starts to descend.
- At the bottom of the hill, the trail crosses a plank bridge with a large stone wall to your left.
- Shortly after crossing the bridge, take the white square trail that branches off to the left.
- Take the white square trail until it ends back on white circle.
- Turn left onto white circle and follow the trail back to the entrance.