General Description: This is one of our longer loop trails and mostly due to its length, it is considered moderate to difficult to hike. You will hike the Green Rectangle trail to the Orange Circle trail. You will travel back on the Blue Rectangle and Violet Circle Trails.
Difficulty: Take a walk back in time. See old, beautifully constructed stone walls, the Colonial Caves, and a massive rock canopy.
Weather considerations: Some areas can be very muddy. Wear appropriate foot wear.
Distance: About 2.7 miles
Duration: 1.5 or more hours
Hiking Narrative: Park at the Westwoods #4 entrance (see map above) located on the northern section of Moose Hill Road. There is a pull off area on the West side of Moose Hill Road for one or two cars to park. The loop trail begins on the East side of the road opposite the car pull off area. There is a kiosk at the trail entrance.
- Follow the Green Rectangle trail. Note the old stone walls soon after you begin your hike.
- Cross a long bridge.
- Walk through the Colonial Caves. Stop and explore. These caves supposedly provided a safe haven for women and children living in the Leete’s Island area when the British invaded Leete’s Island in 1781.
- Green Rectangle makes a left turn and goes uphill. Watch closely. This turn could be easily missed.
- Continue on Green Rectangle as Yellow Square crosses.
- Continue on Green Rectangle as Yellow Circle crosses.
- Continue on Green Rectangle as White Circle crosses.
- Continue on Green Rectangle as Orange Square veers left and then a few feet later Orange Square veers to your right.
- Take a right turn on Orange Circle and head south.
- Cross a bridge and stay right on Orange Circle.
- Continue on Orange Circle as Orange Square veers right.
- Take a right turn on Blue Rectangle.
- Red Triangle trail joins up with the Blue Rectangle trail for a short while.
- Continue on Blue Rectangle trail as White Circle crosses Blue Rectangle.
- Take a left on Blue Rectangle trail as Red Triangle trail continues straight under the power lines.
- Cross a bridge.
- Take a right on Blue Rectangle trail as it joins the Yellow Square trail.
- Note the massive rock canopy on the left. Stop and Explore. Imagine what happened to cause the rocks to shift. Aren’t you glad you weren’t there at the time!!
- Stay on Blue Rectangle trail through a maze of yellow square and circle trails.
- Take a right on Violet Circle trail.
- Cross the power lines.
- Cross a stream.
- Wind around and cross the stream again. You’ll see a small waterfall.
- To your left on a rise, you will see a floating, large boulder. This rock is an example of an erratic. It was “placed” on the ledge by a receded ice age glacier.
- Violet Circle ends. Take a left on Green Rectangle to trail entrance.