General Description: This is one of our longer loop hikes taking you first on an unmarked shortcut trail that leads to “Table Rock”. You then hike on Yellow Circle trail out to Lost Lake Vista and return on the Yellow Square and Blue Rectangle trails. You will hike by four of Westwoods points of interests. You will see two water features – a small seasonal waterfall and Lost Lake Vista (take a snack and enjoy the view), and two awe-inspiring rock features – Great Fallen Cliff and Rock Canopy. Enjoy!
Difficulty: This is moderately difficult with quite a bit of up and down hiking. There is one short area that is a steep scramble up a rocky wall right before you reach Lost Lake Vista. There are a couple of short loops that are optional to make the hike even more physically challenging for the real adventurous.
Weather considerations: Some areas could be slippery if there has been recent rain.
Distance: About 3 miles
Duration: 1.5 hours
Hiking Narrative: Park your car at entrance #5 off of Moose Hill Road.
- Begin hiking on the center trail between the Blue Rectangle and Violet Circle trails starting from the parking lot. This trail is unmarked and is a favorite shortcut to a popular spot called “Table Rock”.
- Continue straight on the unmarked trail as it crosses Violet Circle.
- As you reach Table Rock (a flat ledge area) take a right and follow the rock on it’s long axis heading south. You will then pick up the Yellow Circle trail.
- The Yellow Circle trail passes above a seasonal waterfall marked as Westwoods point of interest #8 on the Westwoods map. Cross over the top of the waterfall.
- Continue straight on Yellow Circle as you pass an “x” cross trail and begin climbing uphill.
- Shortly after hiking between 2 large boulders there will be 2 side trails going down a cliff on the left. These optional short loop trails return back onto the Yellow Circle trail and offer more adventure and physical challenge for hikers.
- Continue straight on Yellow Circle as Violet Circle merges with Yellow Circle from the right.
- Continue straight on Yellow Circle up a cliff as Yellow “X” trail goes to the left.
- You will follow along the top of a ridge and have views of Lost Lake in front of you as you hike.
- Cross a bridge.
- Yellow Square goes left. Continue on Yellow Circle as it makes a steep climb to Lost Lake Vista. Lost Lake Vista is marked as Westwoods Point of Interest #11 on the Westwoods Map. This is the end of the Yellow Circle trail and the turn around point for this loop trail. Relax and rest a bit at Lost Lake Vista. Many water birds can be seen from this serene location.
- Backtrack on Yellow Circle and then take a right on Yellow Square for the return trip. You will hike in a valley following below Yellow Circle.
- Cross a small bridge.
- Stay right on Yellow Square as Yellow “X” trail goes left.
- You’ll approach the bottom of Great Fallen Cliff marked as #9 on the Westwoods Point of Interest Map. Stop and explore this enormous rock feature. If you look closely, you can see small caves high on the main cliff. These sunless caves grow unusual plant life.
- Continue on Yellow Square below the seasonal waterfall that we saw earlier. Cross over the stream below the waterfall.
- Continue straight on Yellow Square as Blue Rectangle merges with Yellow Square.
- See the Rock Canopy marked as #7 on the Westwoods Map. Imagine what creatures call this home.
- Take a left on Blue Rectangle as Yellow Square continues right.
- Continue straight on Blue Rectangle as Violet Circle crosses the trail.
- Continue on Blue Rectangle to the parking area.