General Description: Loop #4 begins with a short and easy hike to Lost Lake and then a hike along a ridge with beautiful views of the valley below. You’ll return with a hike down through the valley following below the rock ridge.
Difficulty: An easy to moderate hike with some rocky climbs and descents.
Weather considerations: Rain/snow may cause some slippery conditions especially on climbs and descents. The valley area often has wet conditions.
Distance: 2.27 miles
Duration: 75 minutes
Sights: Views of Lost Lake with great picnic spots, a curious cairn and impressive natural rock formations including a large rock overhang and a squeeze (rock fissure).
Hiking Narrative: The loop begins at Entrance #6 located at the end of the Three Corners Road cul-de-sac. Please park your car on the outside of the circle rather than on the grass island.
- Look for the Red Triangle symbol on a tree. You’ll be starting off on a long tree-lined driveway (the house is not in view). Towards the end of the driveway the trail veers off to the right as the driveway climbs left.
- Take the left fork (Red Triangle) and at the bottom of the hill go left on Orange Circle.
- After hiking about 1/3 of a mile, stay straight on the White X trail as the Orange circle turns left. You’ll be on the White X trail for just a short while before meeting up with the White Circle trail. Take some time out and climb up the rock ledge next to the trail. It’s a great place to have a picnic and take in the view of Lost Lake.
- Continue right on White Circle.
- Right on White Circle as Yellow Square goes Left.
- White Circle follows along a ridge with views of the valley below.
- Straight on White Circle as White Square goes Left.
- Again, Straight on White Circle as White Square goes Left. White Circle begins to climb.
- White Circle goes through a squeeze (fissure in rock). Hope you didn’t get stuck!
- About 1¼ miles into the hike, there are two White Square trails branching left. Take the second White Square trail going left. This is just before the power lines. You’ll descend to the valley and begin the return trip.
- As you follow below the rock ridge you’ll come to an impressive rock overhang. Take some time to explore.
- Continue along the White Square, hiking at the bottom of the valley with a stream to your right. This was once an old woods road.
- White Square trail ends and White Circle crosses your path. Continue straight on the Red X trail. You have hiked for about 1.75 miles.
- You’ll be on the Red X trail for just a short while before meeting up with Red Triangle. Take a right on Red Triangle.
- Keep your eyes open on the left for an interesting cairn underneath a teepee structure built by an unknown for an unknown purpose. The structure has been here for a few years. Look for clues to explain who, what and why.
- Straight on Red Triangle as Orange Circle crosses trail.
- Continue to follow Red Triangle out to the Three Corners Road Entrance.