General Description: This is quite a long hike taking you on the Green Rectangle trail to the Yellow Circle and Yellow Square trails. You’ll hike back on the Red Triangle trail to the Violet Circle Trail. This is a fun trail but very wet. If you don’t mind mud, you’ll enjoy this trail. If you don’t like mud, maybe skip this one.
Difficulty: This is moderately difficult with a little bit of a scramble at the beginning of the loop trail. The biggest factor is the mud especially on the Red Triangle portion.
Weather considerations: There are some very muddy areas on this loop especially on the Red Triangle portion. Wear appropriate footwear.
Distance: 2.2 miles
Duration: 75 minutes
Sights: Stone walls, Colonial caves and a very fun narrow squeeze.
Hiking Narrative: Park at the Westwoods #4 entrance (see map above) located on the northern section of Moose Hill Road. There is a pull off area on the West side of Moose Hill Road for one or two cars to park. The loop trail begins on the East side of the road opposite the car pull off area. There is a kiosk at the trail entrance.
- Follow the Green Rectangle trail. Note the stone walls soon after you begin your hike.
- Cross a long bridge.
- Walk through the Colonial Caves. Stop and explore. These caves supposedly provided a safe haven for women and children living in the Leete’s Island area when the British invaded Leete’s Island in 1781.
- Almost immediately after leaving the Colonial Caves make a Left onto a Yellow X trail and go uphill. This is a cross trail that will take you to the Yellow Circle trail.
- Make a Left at the top of the second hill.
- You will meet up with Yellow Circle. Make a right on Yellow Circle.
- Crouch low and travel through “The Squeeze”, a narrow tunnel.
- Just after “The Squeeze” take a right on Yellow Square.
- You will meet up with a white X trail going left. You will take a right and continue on the Yellow Square.
- Continue on Yellow Square as Yellow Circle crosses your path (again.)
- Stay on Yellow Square as Green Rectangle crosses.
- Cross the power lines.
- Yellow Square meets up with Red Triangle. Take a right on Red Triangle.
- Cross a bridge. Red Triangle merges with Yellow Circle briefly.
- Continue on Red Triangle as Yellow Circle splits off.
- Continue on Red Triangle as it follows along the power lines. This area can be very muddy.
- At the top of the second hill you climb, make a right on the Violet Circle.
- To your left on a rise you will see a floating, large boulder. This large rock is an example of an erratic. It was “placed” on the ledge by a receded ice age glacier.
- Violet Circle ends. Take a left on Green Rectangle to trail entrance.
Continue on Yellow Square as Yellow Circle crosses your path.